The Center for Learning and Advancement (CLA) has announced it's 2010 Fall Student Success Webinar Series. All webinars are scheduled from 3 to 3:30 p.m. (MST). Links to the webinars are available at http://my.gcu.edu/centerforlearning. The September dates and presentations are as follows.
Test Taking Strategies 1 - Tuesday, September 14
- Describes how to anticipate what will be on the test.
- Describes how to interact in and out of class to ensure test success.
- Identifies specific study techniques to improve memory and retention when studying for an exam.
Test Taking Strategies 2 - Wednesday, September 15
Taking the Test
- Outlines steps to take the night before an exam.
- Highlights ways to reduce and overcome test anxiety the day of the test.
- Provides tips for successful test taking in both traditional and online classroom environments.
Test Taking Strategies 3 - Thursday, September 16
Specific Test-Taking Tips
- Highlights specific test-taking tips and includes strategies for true/false, multiple choice, short answer, essay, open book, oral and math exams.
Time Management 1 - Tuesday, September 21
Time Management- Personal Goal Setting
- Teaches students how a solid personal goal setting system is the key to effective time management and life planning.
- Students will learn to identify causes for procrastination in order to eliminate the problem.
Time Management 2 - Wednesday, September 22
Time Management - Organization Skills and Techniques
- Teaches students simple but powerful techniques to convert goals into effective action plans.
- Learning to prioritize wisely will help students to manage their time and optimize the efforts of achieving their goals.
Time Management 3 - Thursday, September 23
Time Management - Decision Making & Stress Management
- Emphasizes the notion that good decision-making skills are the foundation for life.
- Demonstrates the necessity of maintaining control when situations, people, and events make excessive demands.
- Provides strategies for time management, making effective decisions, and overall management of stress.
Reading Strategies 1 - Tuesday, September 28
Improve Reading Rate
- Reveals how students can minimize the time they spend on reading university content while focusing on fluency, pre and post reading strategies, and how to gain a true understanding using the least amount of time.
Reading Strategies 2 - Wednesday, September 29
Improve Reading Comprehension
- Explains how students can read and understand difficult material with high volumes of advanced vocabulary using various texts in the university setting.
Reading Strategies 3 - Thursday, September 30
Reading Comprehension Strategies
- Focuses on specific tools and techniques such as SQ4R and KWL to help students understand the material being assigned.