Faculty Focus: Dr. Jason Ward
DR. JASON WARD
College of Doctoral Studies
Title: Faculty Manager
Years at GCU: 10
● B.A., Multilingual/Multicultural Education
● M.A., Educational Administration
● Ed.D., Curriculum Development and Research Methods
Faculty scholarship (publications, scholarly presentations, fellowships, etc.):
● Ward, J. & Cranmore, J. (2019). Policies and practices for schools during natural disasters: Confronting the needs of displaced/homeless students. The Journal for Truancy and Dropout Prevention, 60(1), 1-10.
● Lessor, C. & Ward, J. (2019). Difference of a Counselor Facilitated Male Adolescent Group on Behavior. In Review
● Ward, J., Comer, U., & Stone, S. (2018). On Qualifying Qualitative Research: Emerging Perspectives and the “Deer” (Descriptive, Exploratory, Evolutionary, Repeat) Paradigm. Interchange, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10780-018-9313-x
● Ward, J. (2007, June). The PRO-GROW Portfolio System. Council on Change, Salt Lake City
● Ward, J. (2009, July). Oral Proficiency in the L2 Classroom. American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATP), Albuquerque, N.M.
● Ward, J. (2010, April). Communicative Competence, Arizona Language Association (AZLA), Tucson
● Ward, J. (2012, April). Student Perceptions of Instructional Grading: A Case Study. American Education Research Association (AERA), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
● Ward, J. (2014, July). Rethinking Student Grading. National Association of District Supervisors of Foreign Language (NADSFL), Winston-Salem, N.C..
● Ward, J. (2015, November). Assessing for Mastery: Continuing the Learning Process. American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages (ACTFL), San Diego
● Ward, J. (2017, September). Habits of Highly Successful Dissertation Completers, DC Conference, Grand Canyon University, Phoenix
● Ward, J. & Anderton, A. (2019, March). Increasing interrater reliability: Assessing interpersonal speaking with well-designed rubrics. Southwest Conference on Language Teaching (SWCOLT), Fort Worth, Texas
Notable research in your field: Second Language Acquisition and Issues in Secondary and Post-Secondary Education
What are you most passionate about in your field? Comprehensible input in the L2 Classroom.
What aspect of your teaching style is the most distinctive and/or memorable? I infuse humor into the learning environment. Humor removes barriers that otherwise would delay learning.
What do you like to do for fun in your spare time? The Ward family loves to travel. Currently, we have traveled on six of the seven continents to more than 30 countries and 45 states. We are hooked.
What is something interesting about you that most people don’t know? I have studied 11 languages, am fluent in three and communicatively competent in five.