Dr. Deb’s Mental Health Vitamin: Advice sure to be a hit
By Dr. Deb Wade
GCU Vice President, Counseling and Psychological Services
“Rock ’n’ fire!”
“Hey, batter-batter! Hey, batter-batter!”
“Come on, Blue! Put on some glasses!”
Sound familiar to you? Oh, how I love the grand entrance of Lady Spring and all that she brings with her – the smell of freshly mowed grass, the warmer weather, the smell of hot dogs and the vendors going through the stands yelling, “Cotton candy, peanuts, Crackerjacks right here!” Doesn’t everything just taste better at the ballpark?
Yes, it’s baseball time again … coming on the heels of March Madness and ushering in the opportunity to get outside and enjoy the game. Since baseball is America’s Great Pastime and because I firmly believe (as I’ve mentioned so many times in this space) that sports offer many life lessons and are a microcosm of life, I thought we’d take a peek at the richness that this sport offers. Some tips from the dugout:
- Step Up to the Plate! Be a risk-taker! Assert yourself! Summon up your confidence! The time is NOW for the pursuit of dreams, goals and desires!
- Pursue with Passion! Don’t be lukewarm in your drive toward success! Be on fire! Have gusto! Abe Lincoln once said, “Most people are just about as happy as they’ve made up their minds to be.” How true – go for it!
- Develop with Diligence! Be willing to go to the next level in your goal-setting! Perhaps you can set a small goal as you pursue your bigger goals – get 10 percent better each day.
- Stare Down Adversity! One thought driven home is worth three left on base. There will be barriers, boulders in the road and hurdles to overcome, but stare it down and continue with your pursuit!
- Never Underestimate Your Opponent! Sometimes we are own worst enemies. Disbelief, lack of confidence and inconsistent effort all can derail your life goals! Sometimes the biggest boulder in the road is the one we see in the mirror. Don’t let doubt cloud your thinking; rather, look at the face in the mirror and say, “I have what it takes! Nothing can stop me!”
- Thrown a Curve? When life throws you a curve, just drive it! Don’t be bumfuzzled by a threat that comes out of nowhere … you have the fire in your belly, so hit it out of the park!
- Dress for Success! Do you have on your “game face”? Set the standard! Be your best! Bring your best!
- Find the Zone! Pitchers get in a zone – they tune out all distractions and have intense focus on the glove of the catcher. Can you filter out all the distractions that may get in the way of your goals? Be aware of them – but don’t ever allow them to change your course!
- Develop Several Pitches! A successful pitcher has an arsenal of different pitches he can use to keep the batter guessing. If one of your “pitches” fails to get you where you’re going, develop an alternate course. Just don’t ever, ever, ever give up!
- Credit a Teammate! Always acknowledge and show appreciation for those who support you and assist you! No man is an island! When possible, allow someone else to have the glory … it will feel so good!
- Condition for Extra Innings! Sometimes striving for goals is easy; sometimes it’s not. When it’s not, most people give up and quit. Be a finisher! Remember, it’s not where you start, it’s how you finish! There is always a deep reservoir of grittiness, determination and endeavor that one can draw on when extra power and intention are needed!
I just love the sport of baseball. It’s rich with metaphors and life analogies.
Many ballplayers I know put motivational sayings, mantras and encouragement on the inside of their caps. (Watch a game and see a player occasionally take off his cap and look inside it.)
Do you have a mantra that you can place in your “cap”? Here’s one of mine: Start off right! Respond on principle! Have unshakeable standards! Rock ’n’ Fire! … Batter Up!