Fitness Facts: How to boost your immunity
By Connie Colbert
Director, Canyon Health and Wellness Clinic
In this season of colds and flu, you can use an extra boost to your immune system to fight off the germs that surround us. Here are a few tips to boost your immunity and fight an infection before it starts:
- Increase your Vitamin C intake with supplements or citrus fruits: Some of the most popular citrus fruits are grapefruits, oranges, tangerines, lemons and limes.
- Eat red bell peppers: They are better source of Vitamin C than citrus fruits. They also contain beta carotene, which can help your eyes and skin stay healthy.
- Eat your broccoli: Just like mom always said. This is one of the healthiest veggies to put on your plate.
- Add garlic: It is a natural immune boost.
- Also add ginger: It may help decrease inflammation, which can reduce a sore throat and other inflammatory illnesses. Ginger also can help decrease nausea.
- Eat spinach: Raw is best to maintain the antioxidant properties.
- Add a probiotic: You can go with an over-the-counter brand or eat yogurt with live cultures.
- Stay hydrated: That can boost your immune health, too! Water helps your body produce lymph, which carries white blood cells and other immune system cells. Try to avoid overdoing beverages that can make you dehydrated, such as coffee.
- Add a handful of almonds daily: Researchers have found that the skin in almonds can help stop a virus from spreading.
- Laugh more! Research shows that laughter increases the antibodies that attack viruses and bacteria. Proverbs 17:22a is scientifically true: A joyful heart is good medicine.
Staying healthy is a combination of steps to increase the health of your mind, body AND spirit!