GCU students excel at international business conference
GCU News Bureau
Colangelo College of Business students from Grand Canyon University earned several awards, top-10 finishes and a scholarship in the 56th annual International Career Development Conference (ICDC) on Wednesday through Sunday in Anaheim, Calif.
More than 1,500 college students from across the country attended the business-based event organized by DECA, which prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the world. It featured prize categories such as entrepreneurship, management, finance, sales, accounting, marketing and hospitality.
Eight of the attendees from GCU made the Top 10, compared to four last year. The GCU highlights:
- The teams of Ashley Kellock/Chris Hidalgo and Breanna Stevens/Madeline Campbell were Top 10 finalists in the Entrepreneurship Challenge. This was the first Collegiate DECA international event for both teams.
- The team of McKenzie Shaver/Spencer Haber were Top 10 finalists in the Event Planning case study category. McKenzie and Spencer also are new to DECA this year.
- Jacky Briseno, GCU’s current DECA president, placed in the Top 10 for Sales Management Meeting.
- Whitney Rossi, a current and returning DECA officer, earned a Top 10 for Best Exam in the Hotel and Lodging competitive category.
- Sabrina Cross was the recipient of a $1,500 DECA scholarship.
- Kellock and Haber received a 2016-17 Academic Honor Award.
- GCU earned the Presidential Chapter Leadership Passport Award for the 2016-17 academic year. The Presidential Award is the highest level of recognition for activities conducted by the club.
- Rossi and Siangicha Moshi earned the Blue level and Briseno earned the Gold level for the individual Leadership Passport Award.
Also representing GCU were Karla Ramos Aguay and Bre Simmons.