Career Services: Social media in the workplace
By Alexa Wennet
GCU Career Services
Social media plays a daily role in the careers of most professionals. However, creating a business social media account is very different from having a personal account. Below are tips on building your audience and keeping them coming back for more.
- Make your social media site attractive. Select visually appealing graphics and easy-to-read fonts.
- Know how to connect with your audience. Offer giveaways and incentives to participants. Contests also are a fun way to engage with clients.
- When posting most information, make sure the content is educational or provides appropriate resources that are relevant to your company’s industry.
- Keep your content fresh, personal and applicable to your audience. Avoid posting random thoughts and items that do not have value to the reader.
- Post events, pictures and information about what’s new in the office, such as new employees, birthday announcements, new products offered or a company award.
- Post theme days such as “Friday Fun Facts” or “Tuesday Tip Day.”
- Conduct polls or surveys about your products. This is a great way to get feedback about your business.
People visit social media outlets to get away from the serious stuff so it may be effective to occasionally treat them to an appropriate and fun video or image.
You also should be aware that people use social media to vent about things they don’t like. If your site gets a negative comment, always answer promptly and never leave the issue unattended. People also may use your site to inform you of a potential problem with a product, which enables you to resolve it more quickly.
Social media provides a forum to communicate with your customers, increase traffic, and increase awareness of your organization, so have fun and stay connected.
Remember, GCU Career IMPACT Center is here for you! Visit www.gcu.edu/careerservices to utilize any of our online tools to identify your career path, build your resume, research career options or apply to current job postings. Employers are encouraged to apply for a Career Connections account to post jobs and/or internships for GCU students and alumni.