Faculty Focus: Dr. Cristie McClendon
College of Doctoral Studies
Title: Senior Doctoral Adjunct Manager/Assistant Professor
Years at GCU: 11
Academic degrees: Ph.D. in curriculum and instruction; M.S. in educational administration, B.S. in elementary education.
● McClendon, C., and Jacobs, J. (2018). “Use of Reflective Practice in Teaching Two Online Doctoral Research Courses,” Journal of Scholarly Engagement. 1(1).
● McClendon, C., Massey, R. & King, A. (2017). “Grit, Growth Mindset, and Deliberate Practice in Online Learning,” Canyon Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. 3(1).
● Gruwell, G. & McClendon, C. (2013). “Meeting the Needs of Adult Learners in the 21st Century,” Canyon Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. 3(1).
● Nordin, E. J., and McClendon, C. (2016). “Essential Skills for a Doctoral Dissertation,” Doctoral Research: Foundations and Theories, Grand Canyon University.
● McClendon, C. and Elsasser, S. (2017). “Dissertation Components, Academic Integrity, and Research Ethics, ” Doctoral Research: Foundations and Theories, Grand Canyon University.
● McClendon, C. (2017). “Quantitative Core Designs: Sampling and Evaluation of Quantitative Research,” Doctoral Research: Foundations and Theories, Grand Canyon University.
● Skelton, J. and McClendon, C. (2016). “Developing the 10 Strategic Points and Prospectus,” Doctoral Research: Foundations and Theories, Grand Canyon University.
Notable research in your field: Reflective practice
Notable employment in your field: Principal, Director of Teaching and Learning, consultant
What are you most passionate about in your field? Teaching to make a difference in the lives of learners
What aspect of your teaching style is the most distinctive and/or memorable? Scaffolding instruction to help learners understand the research process and finish their dissertation
What do you like to do for fun in your spare time? Yoga, play with my two new grand babies
What is something interesting about you that most people don’t know? My dream retirement job would be to own a doggie daycare.