Fitness Facts: How to prevent colds, flu
By Connie Colbert
Director, Canyon Health and Wellness Clinic
Flu and cold season is upon us! Prevention is the key to staying healthy. Here are some tips to prevent illness:
- Wash your hands. Studies show that simple hand washing can help prevent a large number of illnesses.
- Do aerobic exercises regularly. It increases your body’s natural virus-killing cells.
- Don’t cover your cough and sneezes with your hands.
- Avoid sharing beverages. Germs spread easily through sharing of drinks.
- If you are sick, do not force yourself to go to class or work. You will only feel worse and you will infect others.
- Get to the doctor.
- Drink lots of fluids. Colds and flu can deprive your body of much needed fluids. Rehydrate by drinking plenty of water or drinks containing electrolytes, such as Pedialyte or Gatorade.
- Get a flu shot.
- Don’t smoke.
- Avoid ill friends and co-workers.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth. The membranes in these areas make it easy for bacteria and viruses to enter your body and cause infection.
- De-stress. There is evidence that your immune system revs up when you relax. Prayer and meditation daily for 15-30 minutes are great ways to get this one in!
- Avoid sugar and eat more fruits and veggies. The dark green, red and yellow ones carry the most nutrients.