Business students excel in DECA state competition
GCU News Bureau
The DECA club in the Colangelo College of Business at Grand Canyon University was host to the State Conference competition, and eight of its 14 entrants finished in the top three in their respective categories.
In all, there were 91 students competing from eight Arizona colleges and universities, including Arizona State, Arizona and Northern Arizona. The top GCU finishers were:
- Hotel and Lodging: Whitney Rossi (1st), Judith StHilaire (2nd)
- Professional Sales: Maya Hinojos (2nd)
- Fashion Merchandise and Marketing: Sarah Johnson (2nd), Sabrina Cross (3rd)
- Sports Entertainment and Marketing: Chase Broz and Craig Langille (team of two)
- Restaurant and Food Services: Erika Hernandez
All eight as well as four other GCU students — Jacky Briseno and Josie Edwards in International Marketing and Lee Rank and Eddie Flores in Sports Entertainment and Marketing — qualified to compete next month in the DECA Collegiate Championships at the International Career Development Conference in Washington, D.C.
“Collegiate DECA provides a great opportunity for our students to compete in business scenarios and articulate a corrective course of action,” said Dr. Randy Gibb, the CCOB dean. “CCOB is excited for our students to head to D.C. and represent GCU.”
DECA once was known as the Distributive Education Clubs of America but now goes solely by its acronym.