Spiritually Speaking: Don’t Take Grace for Granted

June 09, 2011 / by / 6 Comments

By Anissa Rowe

“What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?” – Romans 6:1-2

Grace is akin to the extra time an individual gets to live after the doctors have shortened it in their estimation; grace is the brief moment the sun pushes the storm clouds aside on a gloomy day.

Grace is quite possibly the most beautiful but also the most abused gift that Jesus gave to us.

As if it is not enough that this innocent man was beaten and murdered inhumanely for all of humanity – those already deceased, still living and still to come – by exchanging His blood for this grace, we often only use it as an excuse to do the opposite of God’s expectations.

We know as humans, no matter how “good” we try to be as Christians, we can never work hard enough to please God by our own efforts.

However, that does not mean we should not give it our best.

In other words, we should think of grace as more of a set time or an opportunity for us to make our hearts right with God, not a chance to take advantage of it and live as crazy and on the edge as we can.

Picture it like an inmate on death row suddenly given a second chance at life.

If he is truly transformed, he does not go out and repeat the mistakes that brought him to prison in the first place, but instead is constantly grateful for his redemption.

We will make mistakes; God knows that more than we do.

Still, let us not purposely push our limit and just expect God to forgive us—let us not abuse the grace He died for by casually “doing our own thing.”

“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness…” – 2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV)

Using God’s grace the right way entails bringing out His best in us by yielding our spirits and letting Him mold us into His likeness.

Many times our minds might make the justification that it is just plain too hard to live the Christian life.

But for one, God never asked us if we wanted the easy way out—He never did promise it would be simple, but He has said His burden is light (Matthew 11:30, KJV) and well worth it when compared to the joy that will come in the end:

“For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory…” – 1 Corinthians 4:17 (KJV)

Remember: Jesus has invited us to a higher calling.

Let us begin to reflect His change in us. Let us start thinking, looking, and acting like Christians; but only by His grace and strength in us.

Do not take the Lord’s grace for granted by continuing with the same attitudes, desires and carnal actions you first came to Him with. Instead, let that grace transform you bit by bit every day.

1. Thelma Myers

This is so weird I have been thinking about how we as christians take avantage of grace. What was said above is so true. I have been praying about my life and how easy it is to lean on grace as an escape route rather than change our attitudes. We must realize that as for school we must keep moving forward, why do we not realize with grace it should we not also keep moving forward and allow the changes God must make in us to get us to where we must be. Change is often a struggle but it should not be so when it comes to the improvements God must do in us.
    Is it possible we do not want to giveourselves wholly to God, because we want to keep control of somethings, even if that thing tears us from the foundation God is trying to establish.
    God bless you everyone!

Jun.20.2011 at 9:32 am
  2. Kirsten

I have this one little rule for myself that I follow always. It’s whenever happiness comes, I have to be cautious. I might get badluck later. So whenever happiness comes I always gotta tell GOD Thank YOU! It’s from Him nothing bad will happen. If something you think Bad happened, better think again It might not really bad. :) Thank God Always!

Collectibles Blueprint

Jun.22.2011 at 9:41 am
  3. Natalie Norwood

Grace is given so freely that we do tend to accept it as some sort of “benefit package” of being a follower of Christ as opposed to viewing it as what it is. When we are freely given the gift of grace it should impact our hearts, humble us and make us fall to our knees in repentance. We need to be keenly aware of the cost of this grace as was mentioned in the article. We need to read and reread the scripture that reminds us of the suffering Jesus endured so that He might be able to extend this gift in addition to the unequalled gift of eternal life.

It is in our becoming very familiar with the steps Christ walked that will allow us to be humbled and changed by the gift of grace.

Thank you for a thought provoking article.

Natalie Norwood

Jul.01.2011 at 8:51 am
  4. Beth

This is so true. I have this conversation with my husband all the time. Every time he repeats the same not so flattering behavior, his excuse is I’m not perfect and God forgives. This comment is disturbing as I’ve told him that his comment is a clear case of taken Gods grace for granted. I love the term that was used “ Benefit Package “ for that’s exactly how some view it.

How can you possibly get to where God intended for us to be if you don’t make that conscious effort to change your heart? I know everything is a process, but the process only works if you’re consciously putting the effort into it.

God knew what he was doing when he said we’re not under “ the law” anymore.
    You can really tell a persons heart condition when they’re given the free will to choose.

Man are we Blessed to have such an awesome father….. Amen!

Jan.28.2022 at 6:13 pm
  5. Hughland

I love everything that was stated, and grace is a beautiful thing and it is a benefit that GOD HAS GIVEN and it is taken for granted, like the opportunity that is given for a man to repent because this is his LOVE and GOODNESS toward us, but the eyes of men are blinded by SATIN, so they can not see the truth.

Apr.13.2022 at 9:36 am
  6. Shirley Matthews

I am thankful for this article. It has helped me a lot in understanding how God’s grace operates. Whenever In the pass when I’ve tried to build a person up by some times speaking what Bible say and from self experience; I’m often told that I’m not operating under God’s grace. This has leaf me research what the grace of God really mean. Reading this article and reading the book called, “GRACE: By Max Lacado has helped me a lot. In the first chapter the question is asked: Have you been changed by grace? Shaped by grace? Strengthen by grace? Embolden by grace? Softened by grace? Snatched by the nape of your neck and shaken to your senses by grace. He goes on to say, “Grace comes after you. It rewires you. Grace is the voice that causes us to change and then gives us the power to pull it off!”. My total understanding of grace is this; The plan of salvation is God’s grace coming after us. Jeremiah 29:11 say, “God knows the plans He has for us!”

May.12.2022 at 5:03 am