CLA Student Success Webinars for November
The Center for Learning and Advancement offers a series of webinars to prime students for success in university academics.
The following webinars are available at the given dates and are from 3 to 3:30 p.m.
Register for a webinar at http://my.gcu.edu/Academics/cla/Pages/studentSuccessWebinars.aspx
Critical Thinking Webinars
11/2/10 Critical Thinking 1
The Critical Brain
- Illustrates the cognitive learning theory, describes how students can develop their cognitive skills through practice and repetition to help improve logic reasoning, memory and overall understanding of university content
11/3/10 Critical Thinking 2
Think Like a Genius
- Explores how historical and philosophical geniuses behave differently and identifies 9 ways students can “think like a genius”
11/4/10 Critical Thinking 3
Think Outside the Box
- Thinking outside the box allows a student to assess, judge and evaluate a scenario to creatively solve a problem. Furthermore by implementing specific questioning strategies students gain depth in their understanding of the content
11/9/10 Problem Solving/ Decision Making
This Webinar demonstrates how problem-solving skills can be an invaluable asset that allows a person to make the best choices and decisions available. Students usually have many and varied goals, both related to school and to other areas of their lives, and it is likely that they will encounter barriers to their success at times. As these barriers are encountered, problem-solving strategies can be utilized to help students overcome obstacles and achieve their goals.
11/10/10 Learning Styles
Information about learning styles and Multiple Intelligence (MI) is helpful for everyone in a university online setting. Knowing your learning style will help you develop coping strategies to compensate for your weaknesses and capitalize on your strengths. This webinar provides an explanation of:
- What learning styles and multiple intelligences are all about
- An interactive assessment of students learning style/MI
- Practical tips to make your learning style work for you.
Online Learning Success
11/11/10 Online Learning Success
Preparing yourself for an online course, whether it is totally online or with some classroom time, is a matter of asking a series of questions. Studies have shown that it takes a certain amount of self discipline and motivation to schedule and manage yourself through such a course. This webinar outlines:
- Effective questions to ask when preparing for online learning
- The different types of online learning models
- How to take tests online successfully
- How to interact socially via the net
- How to collaborate and study in groups using different online software
Test Taking Webinars
11/16/10 Test Taking Strategies 1
11/17/10 Test Taking Strategies 2
Taking the Test
- Outlines steps to take the night before an exam
- Highlights ways to reduce and overcome test anxiety the day of the test
- Provides tips for successful test taking in both traditional and online classroom environments
11/18/10 Test Taking Strategies 3
Specific Test-Taking Tips
• Highlights specific test-taking tips and includes strategies for true/false, multiple choice, short answer, essay, open book, oral, and math exams
The Writing Process Webinars
11/30/10 The Writing Process 1
Phase One: Pre-Writing
• Focuses on identifying the purpose of the paper, writing a solid thesis statement, gathering information, and organizing an outline.
12/1/10 The Writing Process 2
Phase Two: Beginning to Write
• Demonstrates how to take an outline to a paragraph format and how to appropriately use in text citations. It will highlight how to write a dynamic introduction, revise for powerful language, smooth transitions, and solid sentence structure.
12/2/10 The Writing Process 3
Phase Three: Finish and Submit the Assignment
• Illustrates how to format the paper in APA or MLA format, how to accurately cite resources and use turn it in to check for plagiarism before submitting it in ANGEL.