Students, alumni, employers take note: GCU Career Services’ Annual Job/Internship Fair is coming
By Marette Hahn
GCU Career Services
Career Services is preparing to host our annual Job/Internship Fair on campus from 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Thursday, March 3. As the biggest part of Career Week, the Job/Internship Fair is a great opportunity for current students and recent graduates to meet-and-greet 175+ companies looking to hire, and for companies to find their next all-star employee.
If you’re a recent graduate and are still looking for a full-time position or are open to an internship, the Job/Internship Fair gives you exposure to numerous companies with open positions in a variety of fields. This is your opportunity to dress to impress, bring your resumé, and make some valuable connections. Follow these tips to make a strong first impression:
- Prepare for the job fair with a strong resumé (bring 30-40 copies), a solid handshake and a confident demeanor. Practice with a trusted source beforehand.
- Develop a strong elevator speech to introduce yourself in an impactful manner.
- Research which companies will be attending the event, if possible. Target employers with whom you are most interested in connecting.
- Business attire is most appropriate to make a strong first impression. Be sure to wear comfortable but professional shoes.
- Bring a pad folio with paper, ink pens and business cards to distribute.
- Network with fellow job seekers while at the job fair. Many attendees may be employed in an area in which you are interested.
- Collect business cards of valuable contacts and send a follow-up email a day or two after the event to thank them for their time.
- Take care of any logistics: rest well the night before, carry bottled water, have mints handy and eat a healthy meal the day of the job fair to maintain your energy.
If you are well secured in your position, but your company is looking to hire, please let us know. There is no charge for employers to participate in our Job/Internship Fair, and you can register here. For additional recruiting opportunities, please contact our office for more information about Companies on Campus throughout the semester.
If you would like your resumé reviewed or wish to practice interviewing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 20, 2016. You also may call us at (602) 639-6606 or email email@example.com with any questions.