Holiday Break Details for Online Students

December 14, 2010 / by / 144 Comments

Grand Canyon University is pleased to announce we will be observing a two week break for classes in celebration of the Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays.

Classes beginning on Mondays will begin the break on Monday, 12/20/2010 and courses will resume on Monday, 1/3/2011. Classes beginning on Thursdays will begin the break on Thursday, 12/23/2010 and courses will resume on Thursday, 1/6/2011.

Undergraduate Students: Holiday Break (noted in purple)
Calendar for UG Holiday Break
Graduate Students: Holiday Break (noted in purple)
Calendar for GR Holiday Break

If students are scheduled to be in a course that spans over the Holiday Break, it is important to understand how it will operate:

1. Students will attend their course up until the point the break begins.

For example:

a. A student was scheduled to start Week 3 of his/her course on 12/23/10. The student will begin the Holiday Break, as scheduled on 12/23/10 and will return to Week 3 of his/her course on 1/6/11, after the break has ended.

b. A student ended his/her course on Sunday, 12/19/10. The student will observe the Holiday Break and return to a scheduled course on Monday, 1/3/11, after the break has ended.

2. Students are not expected to participate in online discussion, submit assignments, or work with the CLC team during this Holiday Break period. Students can work ahead if they choose, but need to understand other students and instructors are not required to be in the classroom during the Holiday Break.
  3. Any postings made during the break will not count toward attendance or participation for any week of the course.
  4. During the Holiday Break, GCU’s faculty will not be required to participate in online discussions, return feedback, or be responsible for posting final grades for courses that end the day prior to the Holiday Break beginning. Any feedback or final grade that is due, will be completed the first week after the break ends.

For example:

a. A student ended Week 2 of his/her course on Wednesday, 12/22/10. The instructor will not be required to return the feedback for Week 2 to the student until the end of Week 3 (Wednesday, 1/12/11).

b. A student ended his/her course on Sunday, 12/19/10. The instructor will not be required to return the final feedback or grade until the week after the Holiday Break (due by Sunday, 1/9/11).

5. Students are not required to take any action to schedule the Holiday Break, as it will be automatically scheduled on the student’s behalf.

For example:

a. 7 week courses that span over the Holiday Break will extend to 9 weeks in duration.

b. 8 week courses that span over the Holiday Break will extend to 10 weeks in duration, etc.).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Instructor or your Academic Counselor for clarification.

1. Pam Bonnell

Thank You GCU !!!!!!!!!!!!! This is going to be the best break ever, if one was needed. After writing all these papers and busy work is very stressful and a load. I needed some relaxation and now I will be able to relax and enjoy the season.Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
    Pam Bonnell

Dec.18.2010 at 8:22 pm
  2. Trysta Mele

Thank you so much GCU! This time of year is so special and it means so much to me to be able to celebrate the birth of our LORD, Jesus Christ, with family and friends. GOD has guided me and is making it possible for my dreams to come true. Thank you GCU for the much appreciated and needed break!! Have a blessed holiday season.

Trysta

Dec.18.2010 at 8:30 pm
  3. Jennifer S. Maxie

All,
    Thank you so very much for the 2 week break. I am enjoying my studies in the LPC program. I began my studies Sept 09 with one other break over one year ago. I will be able to read a couple of books that I have picked up. Or I may simply come home from work and lye in bed and watch television.
    Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year. Be blessed and safe!

Jennifer

Dec.18.2010 at 9:15 pm
  4. Monica Allen

Woh We! I am thankful for this Christmas break from School, but unfortunately I still have to spend my christmas at work… But all in all I will return January 3rd refresh and ready to go. Thanks again GCU. To the Students, Faculty, and Staff have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year… Peace Monica

Dec.19.2010 at 9:52 am
  5. Penny Rogers

To the staff and instructors of Grand Canyon University:
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
    Thanks for a much needed break in my studies. I am a non-traditional student and am so excited to have been given an opportunity to obtain my Masters Degree. You will never know how much I needed a short break to spend quality time with my loved ones.
    God Bless You All!!!!
    Penny Rogers

Dec.19.2010 at 1:23 pm
  6. Tracy C

God Bless you GCU!! I am in much need of a break. I am sure my classmates feel the same. We all work so hard to stay on track in our classes. I have been attending class nonstop for 10 months. I am in need of a break to recharge my brain. I wish everyone a wonderful and happy Christmas break.

Be Blessed,
    Tracy Crockett

Dec.19.2010 at 2:29 pm
  7. Gail Biggers

Amen, Amen, Amen again thanks GCU I need this just so I can go to downtown Philadelphia for jury duty. Just what I need for my two weeks off oh well I am still happy that we got this break I haven’t had one all year my choice though. Everyone have a Happy Holiday and a blessed New Year.

Peace and regards,
    Gail M. Biggers

Dec.19.2010 at 4:09 pm
  8. Eurith Brown

Thank You so much GCU I am eternally grateful for the break it is much needed.

Dec.19.2010 at 5:02 pm
  9. Lennie Frey

WOW! What a great gift! Even though I am completing my course of graduate studies on 12/22..and the break decision comes too late for me, I celebrate with current and future students! Thank you to the folks that made this decision, as it was quite long in coming, and so VERY needed! Last Christmas was such a blur and there was always a cloud hanging over our heads!

Dec.19.2010 at 6:01 pm
  10. Lauri

I agree with everyone else!! I was getting so stressed with school Ive been doing my homework at the last minute on Sundays…these 2 weeks will be a well needed break!! My sister told me this morning, then I read it these details, Thank you so much GCU…it is a great Christmas gift!! Have a blessed Christmas to all the staff and faculty and other students!

Dec.19.2010 at 6:04 pm
  11. Robin L.

Finally a break! This is the first break since beginning my program on January 2009. We all surely needed this! Thanks GCU.

Dec.19.2010 at 6:15 pm
  12. Terri Jenkins

Thanks so much for the much needed break GCU. I wanted to wish the staff and all students Happy Holidays and please lets all remember the reason for the season. I hope that 2011 brings you all many many Blessing. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Jenkins family to yours.

Dec.19.2010 at 6:19 pm
  13. matias

I add my thoughts of happiness to my previous classmates. I am looking forward to a well deserved break and appreciate GCU for considering that on-line students have a live and need time to celebrate with our families.

Dec.19.2010 at 6:25 pm
  14. Kelly W

Thank you GCU for listening to students and faculty who need a well-deserved break! I personally enjoy school, but needed this “mind break” to refresh going into the new year. It’s also good support for Christian-based schools to observe Christian holidays!
    Thanks again! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Dec.19.2010 at 7:30 pm
  15. La'Shawnda

I am sooooo happy for a break! Doing these papers every week were killing me. I will enjoy this holiday break fully. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Dec.19.2010 at 9:41 pm
  16. Erika Childs

Grand Canyon Staff,
    This break was definitely a blessing. I appreciate the thoughtfulness to observe Christmas, and be able to spend with my family and friends. This thankfully coincides with my work break and I am able to now completely allow time to rest and enjoy the 2 weeks! Thank you so much! It means so much to all of us taking classes—to re-focus, and be ready for the rest of our degree.

Praying God grants you a restful, happy holiday!

Dec.20.2010 at 8:41 am
  17. sherie

What a fantastic surprise!!!!! My brain will thank you! With one year old twins and a six year old and the usual things that need to be done around the house and for my husband with Christmas only days away, this is a very welcomed and appreciated break. Thanks GCU!!!!!!

Dec.20.2010 at 10:20 am
  18. Krista

Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy your deserved break :)

Dec.20.2010 at 1:26 pm
  19. SANDRA GARNER

Gcu students and staff,
    Have a blessed Christmas and a wonderful, prosperous new year. Thanks you for your support, fine teaching and student interchange of the DQ’s. Finally getting the hang of the online classes!
    Grace Peace & Joy is Jesus Christ, Sandra Garner

Dec.20.2010 at 2:30 pm
  20. Debi Phelps

What a wonderful blessing! Thank you GCU! May everyone enjoy their much deserved time off and their holidays!
    May you feel His presence and His love during your holiday and always!
    Debi

Dec.20.2010 at 4:15 pm
  21. Darcy Robertson

Thank you so much GCU for the break! It’s been 15 months of back-to-back classes and tough assignments. I really appreciate this time with my family! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Dec.20.2010 at 7:02 pm
  22. Rycal Carter

Thanks!

This was a concern for me. I feel better that I can enjoy Family and Friends this Holiday Season.

Happy Holidays to you all!

Dec.20.2010 at 8:23 pm
  23. Linda S.

Grand Canyon University Students, Staff and Faculty:

May God Grant You Many Blessed Years in Health and Happiness Always! May all of you have a blessed Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

I am definately enjoying my on-line classes and must say we have a bunch of excellent students and faculty, that I really enjoyed knowing, and am looking forward to knowing more students and faculty too.

Sincerely,
    Linda

Christ Is Born , Glorify Him!

Dec.20.2010 at 11:35 pm
  24. Sharon Dixson

Kudos to everyone. It was quite a surprise to find out that we were going to be off for the holidays. I really thought that we would go straight through. I have been a student since June, 1009 but had to take a leave from my studies due to illness this time last year and was not aware of the break. I hope that everyone have a wonderful Christmas and New Year’s season. I count this opportunity to further my education as a blessing everyday.

Dec.21.2010 at 7:30 am
  25. Amanda

I am very grateful for the break this year, but I think it is long overdue. Just based on the responses posted, most people are exhausted with the constant courses and papers with NO break. I find it hard to believe other universities can offer the same degrees in the same amount of time, but allow breaks in between classes AND time off for the holidays. I think the real issue is the profit margin of constant courses versus less revenue over a longer period of time. Hmmm….

Although I think GCU is a great school, but a little compassion goes a LONG way.

Dec.21.2010 at 8:16 am
  26. Roy Samuels

Greeting G.C.U.
    May God bless the administration for such thoughtfulness in this busy season, giving us, two weeks off?
    Therefore, may everybody’s Christmas be blessed?

Roy Samuels

Dec.21.2010 at 4:20 pm
  27. Gina Lee

Thank you! I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. I knew I made the correct choice of graduate program at an university that is based on the Methodist Christian theories. God Bless, everyone.

Dec.21.2010 at 5:18 pm
  28. tracey

Praising God for a much needed vaction !!! Happy Holidays

Dec.21.2010 at 7:20 pm
  29. Carol

Hoorah – a real break with my children – well deserved and much needed thank you GCU!

Dec.21.2010 at 9:32 pm
  30. Bob Weagle

Thanks GCU!
    It’s great we get a break and can spend time with friends and family uninterrupted.

Dec.21.2010 at 10:19 pm
  31. Marie Jeanty

Thank you so so so so much. This is much needed and much appreciated. It’s been a long while since I’ve had a break in the online class. I thought we weren’t going to get one. I’ve been in five classes straight through. Thanks again for the break my brain needed it. Have a Blessed and Wonderful Holiday Everyone and a Safe and Happy New Year. Many Blessings to you and your families in the coming year.

Dec.23.2010 at 12:30 am
  32. Karla

That is so wonderful thank you GCU this is a great time to enjoy family and the holiday season. Blessing to everyone have a great safe Merry Christmas & Happy New to come.

Dec.23.2010 at 10:06 pm
  33. KFinley

Thanks GCU! It feels great to take the hoilday to be with family and relaw from classes back to back.. also enjoy beginning on break with other college students….(feels equal).. Thanks again faculty and staff of GCU… God Bless you .. and Happy Holidays and New Year!!

Dec.24.2010 at 9:38 pm
  34. Tammy Hann

Thank you so much for the break. During the holidays family is very important and having the time to spend with them not having to be concerned about getting back to studying makes the time more enjoyable and less pressured.Breaks for holidays are much needed; even if it is only for the weekend of or nearest to the holiday. Being a part of a Christian Campus (online)is a very meaningful experience. Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year.

Tammy

Dec.25.2010 at 9:07 pm
  35. Caroline Bush

Thanks for the break!! I really need it!

Dec.26.2010 at 8:15 am
  36. Kendra Pegues

Thanks sooo much for the two week break. It was well needed. It feels strange not to having to submit a paper. Have not had a break in a very long time. Happy holidays to all.

Dec.26.2010 at 11:45 am
  37. Jacques Howell

GCU,
    I am a student that understands the need of a break at some point. However, I feel that a break of more than three days should be at the discreation of the student. For instance, I am trying to complete my program by July 2011 and with this break being mandatory, it will push my completion date back to September 2011. This is a result of me missing a start date of two classes on 12/27/2010. In the future, if a break is necessary please allow those students that wish to submit work for credit to do so and not have to suffer due to those that wish to break without being responsible for work. In my opinion, GCU Online is designed to be an excellerated program, therefore it should be expected that staff as well as students, would be expected to work without a break.
    Respectfully submitted,
    Jacques T. Howell

Dec.26.2010 at 6:57 pm
  38. Cynthia Chevis

I am glad we had this two-week Christmas Break, I needed this break to collect my thoughts and spend time with my family that was a must needed break, thanks GCU

Dec.28.2010 at 9:34 am
  39. Marjorie

Happy Holidays! I will add my gratitude to have these two weeks to take a mental break and get recharged for my final six weeks. I am spending time with my family AND getting caught up grading my own exams and papers and getting ready for 2nd semester with my students.

Dec.28.2010 at 2:02 pm
  40. tracey freeman

Thanking God & GCU for the much needed BREAK!
    Happy Holidays (:

Dec.28.2010 at 10:25 pm
  41. Julia Bradley

Thanks GCU and thank you Lord for this wonderful break in classroom responsibilities. I works very well with our school district’s calendar this year, which allowed students and teachers a longer than usual break from Dec. 22 to Jan. 10. As a substitute teacher who is working on my masters in secondary education, it was nice to be able to experience what it will be like next year when I am teaching full time, and get to have breaks off with my children. In addition, it allows me to work ahead and get the next couple of assignments done and ready to submit, so I can spend more time working on my benchmark assessment which will be due at the end of the month. Fortunately, this break allows me the ability to be prepared so I can submit this final paper before I leave to go back to Ohio to celebrate my mother’s 92nd birthday with family who are coming from all over the country to share this special time with her. God Bless all GCU students, staff and instructors. Please put this on the calendar for next year, so more students will be able to plan for it and to enjoy this wonderous time.

Jan.01.2011 at 6:34 pm
  42. Kimberly

GCU thank you for the BREAK and the time to relax and enjoy friends and family.. Hope each and everyone of you had a wonderful Holiday..

Jan.02.2011 at 6:26 pm
  43. Norman Seawright Jr. (Sea)

To Leadership, Faculty, and Staff of GCU:

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for this holiday season break. Many of us in the dual-degree program started in ’08 and have been going, non-stop, for over two years. This was a much needed release and I praise God for the insight given to our GCU leadership.

Words cannot express the rejuvenated charge I feel for having been given this time to relax and share with my family and friends.

May the Spirit of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ, continue to lead and guide each of you.

In His service,

Sea

Jan.03.2011 at 5:09 am
  44. Robin Arnold

I was so excited to see that we had the Christmas season off! I remember looking at a paper that I submitted last Christmas Eve, due to not having the break off. Thank you GCU! Thank you!

Jan.03.2011 at 2:47 pm