Holiday Break Details for Online Students

December 14, 2010 / by / 144 Comments

Grand Canyon University is pleased to announce we will be observing a two week break for classes in celebration of the Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays.

Classes beginning on Mondays will begin the break on Monday, 12/20/2010 and courses will resume on Monday, 1/3/2011. Classes beginning on Thursdays will begin the break on Thursday, 12/23/2010 and courses will resume on Thursday, 1/6/2011.

Undergraduate Students: Holiday Break (noted in purple)
Calendar for UG Holiday Break
Graduate Students: Holiday Break (noted in purple)
Calendar for GR Holiday Break

If students are scheduled to be in a course that spans over the Holiday Break, it is important to understand how it will operate:

1. Students will attend their course up until the point the break begins.

For example:

a. A student was scheduled to start Week 3 of his/her course on 12/23/10. The student will begin the Holiday Break, as scheduled on 12/23/10 and will return to Week 3 of his/her course on 1/6/11, after the break has ended.

b. A student ended his/her course on Sunday, 12/19/10. The student will observe the Holiday Break and return to a scheduled course on Monday, 1/3/11, after the break has ended.

2. Students are not expected to participate in online discussion, submit assignments, or work with the CLC team during this Holiday Break period. Students can work ahead if they choose, but need to understand other students and instructors are not required to be in the classroom during the Holiday Break.
  3. Any postings made during the break will not count toward attendance or participation for any week of the course.
  4. During the Holiday Break, GCU’s faculty will not be required to participate in online discussions, return feedback, or be responsible for posting final grades for courses that end the day prior to the Holiday Break beginning. Any feedback or final grade that is due, will be completed the first week after the break ends.

For example:

a. A student ended Week 2 of his/her course on Wednesday, 12/22/10. The instructor will not be required to return the feedback for Week 2 to the student until the end of Week 3 (Wednesday, 1/12/11).

b. A student ended his/her course on Sunday, 12/19/10. The instructor will not be required to return the final feedback or grade until the week after the Holiday Break (due by Sunday, 1/9/11).

5. Students are not required to take any action to schedule the Holiday Break, as it will be automatically scheduled on the student’s behalf.

For example:

a. 7 week courses that span over the Holiday Break will extend to 9 weeks in duration.

b. 8 week courses that span over the Holiday Break will extend to 10 weeks in duration, etc.).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Instructor or your Academic Counselor for clarification.

1. Kathleen Wilkins

I am grateful for the break!!! I am also grateful my class ends so I don’t feel the need to get ahead over break.

Dec.14.2010 at 10:31 pm
  2. Nichelle Benally

So if we are in week 5 now into the class then break will still start on the 23rd right and we won’t be marked off?

Dec.14.2010 at 11:00 pm
  3. Judy Schweer

I appreciate this information posted so thoroughly. I knew of the break but wasn’t sure how it worked. I believe I will be fine now. Thank you so much and have a good holiday. God Bless.

Dec.15.2010 at 4:59 am
  4. Maja Field

Thanks for allowing us to honor Christ’s birth. If more places were respectful of this , the world would be a better place!

Dec.15.2010 at 7:47 am
  5. Denise Durham

Thank you! Thank you! I am so truly grateful for this break! This semester has truly been challenging and I look forward to this Christmas break to spend time with my family. Again…”Thank you, Thank you!”

Dec.15.2010 at 8:13 am
  6. Mike Smith

Praise God! This is so great!

I am catching up on rest and also looking ahead in my current course. This will give me the opportunity to catch up with some of my friends and family during Christmas and hopefully touch their lives with what I have learned already. I am so excited!

Thank you so much for this!

Mike

Dec.15.2010 at 8:37 am
  7. Donna Lowe

Thanks for the official holiday break . My children will be out of school observing the holidays at the same time so, we all will be home to enjoy the family time together .

Thanks and God Bless GCU

Donna

Dec.15.2010 at 9:19 am
  8. Muriel Manns

This is awesome! I needed a break. I work in the daytime and was falling short in my study time. One of the weeks I can can re-read the biology material and get a better understanding. But most of all thanks for observing the reason for the season Christ:)

Dec.15.2010 at 9:24 am
  9. Mary Ptomey

This is my second year at GCU. I was shocked and appalled last year when I found out that GCU did not give their Online students a holiday break. I must say I am happy with the change of heart this year. Whether one is a Ground or Online student, everyone should have this time to celebrate Christmas with their families. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Dec.15.2010 at 9:42 am
  10. Dawn Buffum

I am very grateful for this. A break is best for everyone.

Dec.15.2010 at 9:47 am
  11. Linda W Jones

God Bless you all. This break is the nicest Christmas gift that I could get. Thank you all and God Bless.

Dec.15.2010 at 9:55 am
  12. Sharon Cornelius

Wow! Thanks so much GCU, I didn’t know that we would have a break also. Sleep here I come for sure now. Have A Blessed Happy Holiday Season Everyone.

Dec.15.2010 at 10:20 am
  13. Sharon Cornelius

Yes I work for the school board as well, and I’m so thankful that I can really be stress free this holiday season and spend extra time with my husband and children, Really nice!

Dec.15.2010 at 10:23 am
  14. Christi Lisenby

Thank you very much for the break. I will cherish those two weeks :)

Dec.15.2010 at 10:33 am
  15. Sherry Smith

A big Halelujah chorus….altogether now! Thank you for the scheduled break! It was greatly needed and is greatly appreciated! I am in the Doctoral Program and working full time, my brain needs to breathe. Again, Thank you!!

Dec.15.2010 at 10:47 am
  16. Cornelia Jacob

A great big Thank You is in order…Certainly appreciate a little time off, and my brain is grateful. This is a time that is needed for us celebrate the greatest gift of all and that is the birth of Jesus Christ. Thank you and have a wonderful and bless holiday.

Dec.15.2010 at 11:08 am
  17. DYNETTA ROBINSON

I am so grateful for this information and the break , I was not aware that there would be a break.
    Dynetta Robinson

Dec.15.2010 at 11:16 am
  18. marcia winchester

Awesome!Time for rest, relaxation, family,friends, fellowship and to celebrate the most precious, valuable gift God gave us,Christ our Lord. Stress free from reading,emails,homework and essays.What a gift of grace and mercy to share life with loved ones off-line in person!thank you leaders of GCU and the people who suggested it!As a single mom with four ‘kydz’ 17 19 23 26 I am so grateful !!!!!3 down and one to go…so let the sleigh bells ring and angels sing.

Dec.15.2010 at 11:22 am
  19. Alice Jones

Thank you so very much. I didn’t anticipate the break but will take advantage to spend more quality time with my family during this awesome and wonderful season.

Be Blessed and a Joyous New Year to you and yours.
    AJ

Dec.15.2010 at 11:29 am
  20. Caitlin

Bless you– I might not have made it without it!

Dec.15.2010 at 11:33 am
  21. Peggy White

How WONDERFUL to have this time off for the holidays!! Thank you GCU and may this be a BLESSED SEASON for us all!!

Dec.15.2010 at 12:21 pm
  22. Diane Love

Thank you GCU! I will be able to enjoy the holidays with one less set of deadlines looming over me. I enjoy the courses, but I also enjoy getting a break!
    Diane Love

Dec.15.2010 at 12:48 pm
  23. Tiffany Garris

I was very concerned as to how I would be able to handle my assignments and keep up with all of my family’s celebrations, not to mention on and off planes during the holiday season. Thank you so very much GCU. Tiffany

Dec.15.2010 at 12:49 pm
  24. Kim Shepherd

I have been with GCU since 2007 and am pleased that the school is finally recognizing Christmas and providing time for on-line students to spend time with their family. Hallieluiah!

Dec.15.2010 at 1:20 pm
  25. irene davis

I am especially grateful for not having to write a paper or go on the discussion forum during this “break”.. so it may truly be a break! hallelujah ! :)

Dec.15.2010 at 1:35 pm
  26. Maggie Collins

Hallelujah! Looking forward to celebrating the birth of Christ with my family. My break is the exact time frame my son is scheduled to visit from Cali, the first is over 13 years. God is truly good. wishing all a truly blessed holiday.

Dec.15.2010 at 1:46 pm
  27. Elisa Bowlet

Thank you so much!! I needed a break so badly. With one class ending on Wednesdays and the next class beginning on Thursdays there is no time to catch your breath, clean house, or enjoy family time. Most of us work full time jobs also. You get burned out easily. Thank you for this break to spend time with my family and clean house. God Bless You. Elisa Bowlet

Dec.15.2010 at 1:48 pm
  28. Silas Falokun

I was about to call my prof. when this good news flashed. Thank God.I am happy.

Dec.15.2010 at 1:51 pm
  29. Sara Patterson

I am extremely grateful for the Christmas break and the opportunity to spend the holiday with my family without any worry of my school work. This is such a blessing! Thank you GCU!

Dec.15.2010 at 2:05 pm
  30. Jennifer

Thank you so much for the break! I did not think there would be a break for online students. I have been sick and really needed a break! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Dec.15.2010 at 2:43 pm
  31. Loretta Wilson

I am thankful for this break, it gives me complete family time. To everyone at GCU, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from my family to yours. May God bless and protect you through 2011

Dec.15.2010 at 2:52 pm
  32. Laurie Moore

Praise God! We all can use this break for some R&R and to actually spend some premium time with our loved ones.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Laurie

Dec.15.2010 at 3:24 pm
  33. Leah Cunningham

This break is a great idea. I will definitely take advantage of my time off. Happy Holidays!

Dec.15.2010 at 3:50 pm
  34. Teresa Commander

I am grateful for the break! Everyone needs a break.

Dec.15.2010 at 3:57 pm
  35. christina

THANK GCU for allowing us to celebrate the birth of Christ and time with family and friends!!!

Dec.15.2010 at 4:04 pm
  36. Michelle Rodgers

Happy Holidays to everyone, I am a little confused on the whole holiday break, when does classes end? and when do they start back up.

Dec.15.2010 at 4:17 pm
  37. Loris Welch

appreciation all around… I am soooooo grateful… I was losing steam. I will certainly get some much needed rest.. Happy Holidays,
    Thanks GCU

Dec.15.2010 at 4:18 pm
  38. Michael Lyon

I want to thank you so much for the break over the holidays. A few years back when I started classes at GCU, I do not remember being given a break over the holidays. I may be mistaken. Either way I am so grateful for the break since this is also when my company that I worl for shuts down for the holidays. I will be able to rest and enjoy the holidays with out worring about classroom discussion questions to answer over writing papers. Again thank you for the break.

Dec.15.2010 at 4:22 pm
  39. Vicki Walters

I am so grateful for the break. It is needed. I will now be able to relax and enjoy the Christmas season. Thank you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Dec.15.2010 at 4:22 pm
  40. Josue Martinez

Yey! Yipee!

Dec.15.2010 at 4:34 pm
  41. Phyllis Mathis

I thank you for this information i was wondering how the break would work for online students.

I WOULD LIKE TO WISH THE ENTIRE GCU STUDENT BODY AND STAFF A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Dec.15.2010 at 5:44 pm
  42. Laura Bertholf

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE BREAK!!!! I was extremely happy and pleasantly surprised to read of this information today! I was not aware that we would be getting a break too! Bless GCU and everyone during this glorious season, as we celebrate the birth of our Lord!
    Happy Holidays!

Dec.15.2010 at 6:02 pm
  43. Judy Wharff

I think this is so awesome. My son has the same 2 weeks off for his winter break so now I will be able to spend the time with him instead of having to try to stress around him being home all day to do my school work and him wanting me to spend time with him. I really do appreciate this time off. Thanks so much GCU.

Dec.15.2010 at 6:07 pm
  44. Bernice Richmond

Thank you God…for this 2week break, it is welcome.
    Happy Holidays.

Dec.15.2010 at 6:30 pm
  45. Laverne

I am so thankful for this wonderful break. I will enjoy it to the utmost. Thanks GCU!!!!!

Dec.15.2010 at 6:41 pm
  46. Maria Cedeno

Thank you, I really needed, God Bless you all and I wish every body a wonderful holidays.

Dec.15.2010 at 7:02 pm
  47. DeAnn Crowe

Thank you!!! I am in my very last class and am just so exhausted. This news was music to my ears and am so excited to be able to enjoy this wonderful Christmas season without the worries of school work. God Bless YOU!!

Dec.15.2010 at 7:30 pm
  48. joan anderson

Yay! Wow, I can enjoy Christmas with my husband and four kids without distractions, and while I am in San Carlos. I’m so EXCITED!!!

Joan Anderson

Dec.15.2010 at 8:08 pm
  49. CJ

Thanks for the Christmas break, it is much needed. I was wondering why we do not get a week break between classes that would keep people from getting burned out?

Dec.15.2010 at 8:08 pm
  50. Rita C. Johnson

I am very grateful for the break. My 7 yr old grandson is here from the islands & I am enjoying him and the rest of my family. The dates also coincide with my break from teaching!

Dec.15.2010 at 8:37 pm
  51. Stephanie Davis

Thank you very much for a much needed break!

Wishing everyone a Happy and Safe Holiday season!!

Dec.15.2010 at 9:21 pm
  52. Kimberly Brown

Thank You soooo much GCU because I am so stressed out from all these papers and no breaks this is much needed and appreciated Thank God.

Dec.15.2010 at 9:23 pm
  53. Tyneshia Brooks

Thank you so much GCU!!! My prayers have been answered and during such a precious time to enjoy the birth of my savior; who has guided me and directed me through my entire life. This means a great deal to me. No papers, No discussion questions, No reading, No emails, No projects, No worries about deadlines, and NO STRESS!!:) Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Be Blessed and have a WONDERFUL Holiday.

Dec.15.2010 at 9:27 pm
  54. Grace Love

God Bless you GCU. As an online student you get no break and I am 2 courses away from finishing. This break was MUUUUUUCCCCCHHHH needed. Thank you so very much I felt a crash and burn coming on.

Dec.15.2010 at 10:14 pm
  55. Karen

Thank you, this takes some pressure off and lets me recharge.

Wishing everyone a GCU Happy Holidays!!!!

Dec.15.2010 at 10:56 pm
  56. Nancy Krieg

Because of health issues and serious family problems I was unsure if I was going to be able to continue in shcool. This break gives me renewed hope that I can finish this class. God has answered my prayers.

Nancy

Dec.16.2010 at 12:28 am
  57. Augusta

A well deserved opportunity to reflect and refuel…Thanks GCU!

Dec.16.2010 at 4:57 am
  58. Zalee Clark

I am very excited and happy that GCU is able to grant the on-line students with a Holiday Break!! YEAH for GCU
    Thanks again and everyone move away from the computers and take this break!!
    Happy, Happy Holiday Be Blessed!

Dec.16.2010 at 7:21 am
  59. Marguerite Companiotte

Thank you for letting us know how the break works, I was concerned and was going to call my counselor about the break.
    Happy Holidays!

Dec.16.2010 at 9:53 am
  60. courtney

Thank you sooooo much, I am so tired I need a break!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promise I will be ready for the challenge when I return….
    Courtney Odom

Dec.16.2010 at 10:54 am
  61. Renee Holguin

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Thank you very much for giving us this time with our families!!!

Dec.16.2010 at 11:31 am
  62. Allison Lewis

Thank you soooo much for this needed break. I was about to give up but Thanks to God he has seen me though it all. My all staff, students, and administration have a Bless Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Dec.16.2010 at 11:45 am
  63. Diane Doyle

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to each and every one.

I am so grateful for the break. I was beginning to stress as to how I was to complete the necessary papers while still enjoying the holidays with my family. Thank you.

Dec.16.2010 at 1:11 pm
  64. Felicia Brooks

God bless you!!! This is truly a blessing!! This break allows me to spend time with my family for the holidays and not have to even think about posting or submitting homework. I will be so stress free!! Thank you so much!!! Everyone have a blessed holiday!!!

Dec.16.2010 at 1:13 pm
  65. DeLois Bates

This break was right on time! God bless everyone, Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

Dec.16.2010 at 1:38 pm
  66. DeLois Bates

This break was right on time! God bless everyone, Merry Christmas and Happy New Years and be safe.

Dec.16.2010 at 1:40 pm
  67. Pamela

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! Have an enjoyable time with loved ones. Get some rest. Have a blessed holiday.

Dec.16.2010 at 1:41 pm
  68. Jacqueline Dupree

HALLELUJAH!!!!! God Bless You One and All!
    Thank you so much for being merciful and allowing students and staff to have a stress-free holiday with family and friends! A wonderful, wonderful gift! I will definitely abide by all the rules and not participate in any school functions, nor activities!
    Thank you!!!!

Dec.16.2010 at 2:47 pm
  69. Jessica Zoulek

Thank you so much for the winter break! I hope everyone will have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year! God Bless!

Dec.16.2010 at 3:05 pm
  70. Jasmine Terry

Thank you JESUS! I am so stressed out and I really need a break. Thank you Lord! I just praise you!

Dec.16.2010 at 4:15 pm
  71. Debbie Williams

Bless those who decided to provide a winter break for online students. Thank you for listening to comments on the survey. I have been attending GCU for about a year now and the stress level was climbing. With classes ending on Wednesday and a new one starting on Thursday, the online students truely needed this break in order to recharge.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday, spend with family and friends. But most of all take a few days to just rest.

Dec.16.2010 at 5:20 pm
  72. Rhonda Strode

This is one of the most positive steps this university has taken. I am grateful.

Dec.16.2010 at 6:25 pm
  73. Harriet Johnson

Hi everyone at GCU, this is a wonderful time for everyone to take a break, I would like to wish everyone at GCU, and the online classmates a Blessed Christmas and a prosperous New Year, I hope I will be able to come back, I really enjoyed my classes and professors. God Bless,Harriet.

Dec.16.2010 at 7:08 pm
  74. Suzan

I am so grateful for this break!! And my house will appreciate it too! There are some things that just have not gotten done lately.

Dec.16.2010 at 7:11 pm
  75. Jen

So thankful… This is the best Christmas gift I could get this year. Thank you GCU!!

Happiest Holidays!

~Jen~

Dec.16.2010 at 7:55 pm
  76. Annette "Pudin" S.

Thank God…this is a real blessing for me as an online student. Thanks GCU Online Staff!!!!!!!

Dec.16.2010 at 8:20 pm
  77. Susan Jones

Thank you so very much for this much needed break. I have not had a break in 18 months. This is perfect timing for me.

God Bless
    Have a Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year.

Susan Jones

Dec.16.2010 at 8:38 pm
  78. vickie

This break is great, so good to be able to enjoy time with family and not have to worry about school. This is awesome to celebrate Christmas as God intended.

Dec.16.2010 at 8:40 pm
  79. Pamela Fisher

Thank you so much for this break. I really needed this time to catch my breath. Merry Xmas & A Happy New Year!!!!!!

God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Dec.16.2010 at 9:18 pm
  80. JoAnn Jenkins

A BREAK??!! This is so long over due! Thank You GCU. Now I can catch up on everything else. So wonderful of you… enjoy your break too.

j

Dec.16.2010 at 9:40 pm
  81. Joseph Garoutte

Thank you for the wonderful Christmas break. I want to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year. See you all next year.

Dec.16.2010 at 10:13 pm
  82. Kimberly Massie

Thank you so much for the needed Holiday break. When I first started this program, I was told that there were no breaks for the Holidays. I was a little stressed and concerned with being told that. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the work while trying to get the Holiday chores done. Honestly, I was very excited when I found out that GCU decided to break. I have actually been counting down the days since finding out. Thank you for the greatest Christmas gift ever. I hope that everyone enjoys the break and has a wonderful Christmas and start of a new year.

Dec.16.2010 at 10:16 pm
  83. Mary Wilson+

Hi everyone at GCU. I am so grateful for this Holiday break. I have been very ill and I really felt I was going to have to drop out of school and that is the last thing I want to happen. It is so wonderful here and I love it. The counselors, advisors, professors and everyone that I have come in contact with has been more than great and have gone beyond the call of duty to help me. Thank you all so very much and I wish all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too. I hope to be well rested up and ready to jump back into my work after our break. Thanks again and God Bless everyone.

Sincerely,

Mary Wilson

Dec.17.2010 at 4:34 am
  84. Keicah

First of all I would like to say thank you! I would also like to wish all of the faculty and staff of GCU a happy and safe holiday and a blessed new year!

Dec.17.2010 at 5:04 am
  85. Jo Sanford-Northrop

Thank you GCU for a much need time off. I wish all a very Happy Holiday.

Dec.17.2010 at 7:59 am
  86. Patricia (Patti) Burson

GCU –This is so great!!! Gives us precious time to enjoy the

holidays! Many thanks and best wishes to all of you!!

Patti

Dec.17.2010 at 9:22 am
  87. Ella Caldwell

Hello Everyone
    I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Please don’t forget the reason for the season. Put God first.
    I really enjoy having this break, I hope I will be able to get plenty rest, but most of all I am happy to be able to learn some statistics. This is a good time for me to take my time and really learn without being interrupted by discussion and class work.
    Everyone, be BLESS.

Dec.17.2010 at 9:59 am
  88. Sharon I Hogue

Thank you God!!!!! I needed a break! MERRY BREAK AND HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Dec.17.2010 at 10:22 am
  89. Carolyn Dixon

Praise GOD from Whom all blessings flow!!!This has been an extremely trying holiday season for my family and I had contemplated taking a break with the fear that I might not return. With trying to help take care of my 93 year old mother who is not doing well and my sister who was diagnosed the day before Thanksgiving with cancer that has spread to several places, I was ready to throw in the towel. This small break should be enouch for me to get my brain back to where it needs to be. Thank YOU JESUS for hearing all of our prayers. Online students DO need breaks too.

Dec.17.2010 at 11:12 am
  90. Tamara Mann

My God is a great God. Thanking God for this much needed break. I buried my 100 year old grandmother whom I considered my mother, on November 13, 2010 and started class on the 18th. I will take this time to focus on my son, significant other, and self. Merry
    Christmas to all, and remember the real reason for the season is Christ. God Bless.

Dec.17.2010 at 6:14 pm
  91. Elvira Hieke

Thanks for allowing me to have time to spend with my family. I really need this break. I was ready to give up but now I have time to get myself together.I have been dealing with alot lately, taking care of my oldest son whom has MS and wheel-chair bound and my mother who was diganosed with lung cancer 3 weeks ago. I really need tis time to spend with them and the rest of my family.may God Bless our family and yours.Happy holidays to eeryone and Happy Birthday to Jesus Christ and me. i will be celebrating my 47th birthday on January 2nd 2011.

Dec.18.2010 at 1:02 am
  92. Iva F.

Thank you so much, GCU, for giving us online students a break, too! It couldn’t have come at a better time. Between working full time and various holiday parties and activities that go on December, I was literally losing my mind. These two weeks are a blessing and I am grateful for them. I pray that this practice continues year after year as everyone needs a break every now and then.

Dec.18.2010 at 6:58 am
  93. Cynthia Reynolds

Greetings to all falcuties and students at GCU

I would like to bless everyone with a holiday greeting. Jesus is the reason for the season and I would like to greet you with a holiday blessing. May the Good Lord Bless You Real Good this holiday seasosn and may your New Year be the Blessing of all.
    God Bless everyone and thank you GCU and advisors, financial advisors for all your help.

Dec.18.2010 at 8:25 am
  94. Stephen Underwood

I would like to extend a warm Happy Holiday Season and New Year to the staff at GCU. Thank you for this much needed break. I want to also thank my Academic Advisor and my Financial Aide Advisor for helping make my class scheduling an enjoyable one for me. Thanks a lot you guys. May God bless all of you during this Holiday Christmas season and beyond!

Warm Regards,

Stephen Underwood

Dec.18.2010 at 9:04 am
  95. Angela Cotton

Thanks GCU for this break because all of GCU students deserve one for their hard work. I am honored for this winter break for the stress that I have been through and the hard work of school and full time job. Merry Christmas GCU and God bless everyone! May we have many more breaks to come.

Dec.18.2010 at 12:30 pm
  96. Genesis Reeves

Thank you GCU. This is a blessing and as stated by others a precious to time to seek our LORD and get into HIS presence. Also a time to reflect, relax and really enjoy the season. I am especially thankful to GOD and the GCU faculty for including us online students on the break as well..

Many Blessings,
    Genesis Reeves

Dec.18.2010 at 3:30 pm
  97. Michelle

Thank you GCU!!! God knows I love the uni, but I need a break!!!! see you next year!! Here is to everyone having a safe and happy xmas & new year!

Dec.18.2010 at 5:00 pm
  98. Jody Ptacnik

I just want to express my gratitude for the Christmas break…THANK YOU VERY MUCH GCU! Wishing all a blessed Christmas!

Dec.18.2010 at 6:04 pm
  99. Deborah Fulton

My financial counselor mentioned that we were having a Christmas break. I laughed, because I just knew (thought) she was confusing online students schedule with on campus students. I didn’t even follow up to firm what she said. However, today (Sat, Dec 18th) 3 days later I saw a reminder for the ‘Christmas break”, and thought I would check it out. So, here I am thinking and saying to myself, “she was right”. I am speechless; All I can say is “somebody pinch me”. Thank you God. However, I will probably keep working, but with no deadlines- This is sweet! “Thank you, thank you, thank you”!!!!!! Happy Holidays!!!!!! And thank you again and again!!!!!!!!!

Dec.18.2010 at 6:18 pm
  100. Marie

Thank you GCU for the break. Now I can spend the holidays with my family and enjoy my grand-baby. I don’t have to take my laptop with me. Thank God. Happy Holidays to you all. May God bless you! Best wishes!

Marie

Dec.18.2010 at 7:03 pm
  101. Pam Bonnell

Thank You GCU !!!!!!!!!!!!! This is going to be the best break ever, if one was needed. After writing all these papers and busy work is very stressful and a load. I needed some relaxation and now I will be able to relax and enjoy the season.Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
    Pam Bonnell

Dec.18.2010 at 8:22 pm
  102. Trysta Mele

Thank you so much GCU! This time of year is so special and it means so much to me to be able to celebrate the birth of our LORD, Jesus Christ, with family and friends. GOD has guided me and is making it possible for my dreams to come true. Thank you GCU for the much appreciated and needed break!! Have a blessed holiday season.

Trysta

Dec.18.2010 at 8:30 pm
  103. Jennifer S. Maxie

All,
    Thank you so very much for the 2 week break. I am enjoying my studies in the LPC program. I began my studies Sept 09 with one other break over one year ago. I will be able to read a couple of books that I have picked up. Or I may simply come home from work and lye in bed and watch television.
    Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year. Be blessed and safe!

Jennifer

Dec.18.2010 at 9:15 pm
  104. Monica Allen

Woh We! I am thankful for this Christmas break from School, but unfortunately I still have to spend my christmas at work… But all in all I will return January 3rd refresh and ready to go. Thanks again GCU. To the Students, Faculty, and Staff have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year… Peace Monica

Dec.19.2010 at 9:52 am
  105. Penny Rogers

To the staff and instructors of Grand Canyon University:
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
    Thanks for a much needed break in my studies. I am a non-traditional student and am so excited to have been given an opportunity to obtain my Masters Degree. You will never know how much I needed a short break to spend quality time with my loved ones.
    God Bless You All!!!!
    Penny Rogers

Dec.19.2010 at 1:23 pm
  106. Tracy C

God Bless you GCU!! I am in much need of a break. I am sure my classmates feel the same. We all work so hard to stay on track in our classes. I have been attending class nonstop for 10 months. I am in need of a break to recharge my brain. I wish everyone a wonderful and happy Christmas break.

Be Blessed,
    Tracy Crockett

Dec.19.2010 at 2:29 pm
  107. Gail Biggers

Amen, Amen, Amen again thanks GCU I need this just so I can go to downtown Philadelphia for jury duty. Just what I need for my two weeks off oh well I am still happy that we got this break I haven’t had one all year my choice though. Everyone have a Happy Holiday and a blessed New Year.

Peace and regards,
    Gail M. Biggers

Dec.19.2010 at 4:09 pm
  108. Eurith Brown

Thank You so much GCU I am eternally grateful for the break it is much needed.

Dec.19.2010 at 5:02 pm
  109. Lennie Frey

WOW! What a great gift! Even though I am completing my course of graduate studies on 12/22..and the break decision comes too late for me, I celebrate with current and future students! Thank you to the folks that made this decision, as it was quite long in coming, and so VERY needed! Last Christmas was such a blur and there was always a cloud hanging over our heads!

Dec.19.2010 at 6:01 pm
  110. Lauri

I agree with everyone else!! I was getting so stressed with school Ive been doing my homework at the last minute on Sundays…these 2 weeks will be a well needed break!! My sister told me this morning, then I read it these details, Thank you so much GCU…it is a great Christmas gift!! Have a blessed Christmas to all the staff and faculty and other students!

Dec.19.2010 at 6:04 pm
  111. Robin L.

Finally a break! This is the first break since beginning my program on January 2009. We all surely needed this! Thanks GCU.

Dec.19.2010 at 6:15 pm
  112. Terri Jenkins

Thanks so much for the much needed break GCU. I wanted to wish the staff and all students Happy Holidays and please lets all remember the reason for the season. I hope that 2011 brings you all many many Blessing. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Jenkins family to yours.

Dec.19.2010 at 6:19 pm
  113. matias

I add my thoughts of happiness to my previous classmates. I am looking forward to a well deserved break and appreciate GCU for considering that on-line students have a live and need time to celebrate with our families.

Dec.19.2010 at 6:25 pm
  114. Kelly W

Thank you GCU for listening to students and faculty who need a well-deserved break! I personally enjoy school, but needed this “mind break” to refresh going into the new year. It’s also good support for Christian-based schools to observe Christian holidays!
    Thanks again! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Dec.19.2010 at 7:30 pm
  115. La'Shawnda

I am sooooo happy for a break! Doing these papers every week were killing me. I will enjoy this holiday break fully. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Dec.19.2010 at 9:41 pm
  116. Erika Childs

Grand Canyon Staff,
    This break was definitely a blessing. I appreciate the thoughtfulness to observe Christmas, and be able to spend with my family and friends. This thankfully coincides with my work break and I am able to now completely allow time to rest and enjoy the 2 weeks! Thank you so much! It means so much to all of us taking classes—to re-focus, and be ready for the rest of our degree.

Praying God grants you a restful, happy holiday!

Dec.20.2010 at 8:41 am
  117. sherie

What a fantastic surprise!!!!! My brain will thank you! With one year old twins and a six year old and the usual things that need to be done around the house and for my husband with Christmas only days away, this is a very welcomed and appreciated break. Thanks GCU!!!!!!

Dec.20.2010 at 10:20 am
  118. Krista

Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy your deserved break :)

Dec.20.2010 at 1:26 pm
  119. SANDRA GARNER

Gcu students and staff,
    Have a blessed Christmas and a wonderful, prosperous new year. Thanks you for your support, fine teaching and student interchange of the DQ’s. Finally getting the hang of the online classes!
    Grace Peace & Joy is Jesus Christ, Sandra Garner

Dec.20.2010 at 2:30 pm
  120. Debi Phelps

What a wonderful blessing! Thank you GCU! May everyone enjoy their much deserved time off and their holidays!
    May you feel His presence and His love during your holiday and always!
    Debi

Dec.20.2010 at 4:15 pm
  121. Darcy Robertson

Thank you so much GCU for the break! It’s been 15 months of back-to-back classes and tough assignments. I really appreciate this time with my family! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Dec.20.2010 at 7:02 pm
  122. Rycal Carter

Thanks!

This was a concern for me. I feel better that I can enjoy Family and Friends this Holiday Season.

Happy Holidays to you all!

Dec.20.2010 at 8:23 pm
  123. Linda S.

Grand Canyon University Students, Staff and Faculty:

May God Grant You Many Blessed Years in Health and Happiness Always! May all of you have a blessed Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

I am definately enjoying my on-line classes and must say we have a bunch of excellent students and faculty, that I really enjoyed knowing, and am looking forward to knowing more students and faculty too.

Sincerely,
    Linda

Christ Is Born , Glorify Him!

Dec.20.2010 at 11:35 pm
  124. Sharon Dixson

Kudos to everyone. It was quite a surprise to find out that we were going to be off for the holidays. I really thought that we would go straight through. I have been a student since June, 1009 but had to take a leave from my studies due to illness this time last year and was not aware of the break. I hope that everyone have a wonderful Christmas and New Year’s season. I count this opportunity to further my education as a blessing everyday.

Dec.21.2010 at 7:30 am
  125. Amanda

I am very grateful for the break this year, but I think it is long overdue. Just based on the responses posted, most people are exhausted with the constant courses and papers with NO break. I find it hard to believe other universities can offer the same degrees in the same amount of time, but allow breaks in between classes AND time off for the holidays. I think the real issue is the profit margin of constant courses versus less revenue over a longer period of time. Hmmm….

Although I think GCU is a great school, but a little compassion goes a LONG way.

Dec.21.2010 at 8:16 am
  126. Roy Samuels

Greeting G.C.U.
    May God bless the administration for such thoughtfulness in this busy season, giving us, two weeks off?
    Therefore, may everybody’s Christmas be blessed?

Roy Samuels

Dec.21.2010 at 4:20 pm
  127. Gina Lee

Thank you! I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. I knew I made the correct choice of graduate program at an university that is based on the Methodist Christian theories. God Bless, everyone.

Dec.21.2010 at 5:18 pm
  128. tracey

Praising God for a much needed vaction !!! Happy Holidays

Dec.21.2010 at 7:20 pm
  129. Carol

Hoorah – a real break with my children – well deserved and much needed thank you GCU!

Dec.21.2010 at 9:32 pm
  130. Bob Weagle

Thanks GCU!
    It’s great we get a break and can spend time with friends and family uninterrupted.

Dec.21.2010 at 10:19 pm
  131. Marie Jeanty

Thank you so so so so much. This is much needed and much appreciated. It’s been a long while since I’ve had a break in the online class. I thought we weren’t going to get one. I’ve been in five classes straight through. Thanks again for the break my brain needed it. Have a Blessed and Wonderful Holiday Everyone and a Safe and Happy New Year. Many Blessings to you and your families in the coming year.

Dec.23.2010 at 12:30 am
  132. Karla

That is so wonderful thank you GCU this is a great time to enjoy family and the holiday season. Blessing to everyone have a great safe Merry Christmas & Happy New to come.

Dec.23.2010 at 10:06 pm
  133. KFinley

Thanks GCU! It feels great to take the hoilday to be with family and relaw from classes back to back.. also enjoy beginning on break with other college students….(feels equal).. Thanks again faculty and staff of GCU… God Bless you .. and Happy Holidays and New Year!!

Dec.24.2010 at 9:38 pm
  134. Tammy Hann

Thank you so much for the break. During the holidays family is very important and having the time to spend with them not having to be concerned about getting back to studying makes the time more enjoyable and less pressured.Breaks for holidays are much needed; even if it is only for the weekend of or nearest to the holiday. Being a part of a Christian Campus (online)is a very meaningful experience. Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year.

Tammy

Dec.25.2010 at 9:07 pm
  135. Caroline Bush

Thanks for the break!! I really need it!

Dec.26.2010 at 8:15 am
  136. Kendra Pegues

Thanks sooo much for the two week break. It was well needed. It feels strange not to having to submit a paper. Have not had a break in a very long time. Happy holidays to all.

Dec.26.2010 at 11:45 am
  137. Jacques Howell

GCU,
    I am a student that understands the need of a break at some point. However, I feel that a break of more than three days should be at the discreation of the student. For instance, I am trying to complete my program by July 2011 and with this break being mandatory, it will push my completion date back to September 2011. This is a result of me missing a start date of two classes on 12/27/2010. In the future, if a break is necessary please allow those students that wish to submit work for credit to do so and not have to suffer due to those that wish to break without being responsible for work. In my opinion, GCU Online is designed to be an excellerated program, therefore it should be expected that staff as well as students, would be expected to work without a break.
    Respectfully submitted,
    Jacques T. Howell

Dec.26.2010 at 6:57 pm
  138. Cynthia Chevis

I am glad we had this two-week Christmas Break, I needed this break to collect my thoughts and spend time with my family that was a must needed break, thanks GCU

Dec.28.2010 at 9:34 am
  139. Marjorie

Happy Holidays! I will add my gratitude to have these two weeks to take a mental break and get recharged for my final six weeks. I am spending time with my family AND getting caught up grading my own exams and papers and getting ready for 2nd semester with my students.

Dec.28.2010 at 2:02 pm
  140. tracey freeman

Thanking God & GCU for the much needed BREAK!
    Happy Holidays (:

Dec.28.2010 at 10:25 pm
  141. Julia Bradley

Thanks GCU and thank you Lord for this wonderful break in classroom responsibilities. I works very well with our school district’s calendar this year, which allowed students and teachers a longer than usual break from Dec. 22 to Jan. 10. As a substitute teacher who is working on my masters in secondary education, it was nice to be able to experience what it will be like next year when I am teaching full time, and get to have breaks off with my children. In addition, it allows me to work ahead and get the next couple of assignments done and ready to submit, so I can spend more time working on my benchmark assessment which will be due at the end of the month. Fortunately, this break allows me the ability to be prepared so I can submit this final paper before I leave to go back to Ohio to celebrate my mother’s 92nd birthday with family who are coming from all over the country to share this special time with her. God Bless all GCU students, staff and instructors. Please put this on the calendar for next year, so more students will be able to plan for it and to enjoy this wonderous time.

Jan.01.2011 at 6:34 pm
  142. Kimberly

GCU thank you for the BREAK and the time to relax and enjoy friends and family.. Hope each and everyone of you had a wonderful Holiday..

Jan.02.2011 at 6:26 pm
  143. Norman Seawright Jr. (Sea)

To Leadership, Faculty, and Staff of GCU:

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for this holiday season break. Many of us in the dual-degree program started in ’08 and have been going, non-stop, for over two years. This was a much needed release and I praise God for the insight given to our GCU leadership.

Words cannot express the rejuvenated charge I feel for having been given this time to relax and share with my family and friends.

May the Spirit of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ, continue to lead and guide each of you.

In His service,

Sea

Jan.03.2011 at 5:09 am
  144. Robin Arnold

I was so excited to see that we had the Christmas season off! I remember looking at a paper that I submitted last Christmas Eve, due to not having the break off. Thank you GCU! Thank you!

Jan.03.2011 at 2:47 pm