GCU Goes Red! Partners with AHA to Take a Stand Against Heart Disease
In February, as our thoughts turn to hearts of all sizes and shapes, the American Heart Association (AHA) invites us to take charge of our heart health during National Heart Awareness Month. GCU promotes wellness and preventive health among our students, faculty and staff, and we are proud to take a stand against heart disease, our nation’s number one killer. I am excited to announce a three-year partnership with the AHA to sponsor the Go Red For Women® awareness campaign, which kicks off this week. As chair of this campaign for Phoenix, I urge you to get involved in a number of special activities we are sponsoring on our campus and in our community aimed at raising awareness of heart disease. If you are an online student, spend some time evaluating your lifestyle and those of loved ones. If you haven’t already, commit to starting some heart-healthy habits! Check out some heart health awareness events in your local community, or plan one yourself!
Wear Red Friday, February 5: Celebrate National Wear Red Day! Show your support by wearing a favorite piece of red clothing!
Watch GCU’s Go Red Video: Watch this thought-provoking Go Red awareness video produced by GCU students. Share it with your family and friends and watch it go viral! Watch the video here!
Use the Go Red Auto Signature: Sign all your emails with the official “GCU: How Red are You” signature and help spread the word! Copy paste this into your Outlook signature box:
On Campus and in the Phoenix Community
Hearts in the Arts: Do you have Art in your Heart? Artists of all ages are invited to portray heart disease and health awareness through art and compete for some exciting prizes, up to a $1,000 donation to the winner’s favorite charity. Download this flyer for more information.
- Visit the Go Red Awareness Table: GCU Students: How Red Are You? Pick up red wristbands, beads, stickers and more for National Wear Red Day!
- Visit Cora, the Red Dress: Take your picture with the “official” red dress statue in the Student Union. Send your pictures to email@example.com.
- Eat a Healthy Lunch: Enjoy heart-healthy lunch options in the Student Union.
- Celebration Wall: Honor a family member or friend whose life has been touched by heart disease on the Celebration Wall located in the Student Union.
- GCU Campus Goes Red: If you’re on campus at night, take a look at the red glow of lights on campus.
Go to Facebook for more information: Visit: facebook.com/grandcanyonu to learn more about GCU’s stand against heart disease.
Again, I hope you will join GCU in taking a stand against heart disease and learning how you, your family and friends can adapt and maintain a heart-healthy lifestyle!
Fran Roberts is Vice President of Strategic Business Alliances for the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. She is chair of the American Heart Association’s annual Go Red for Women® campaign for Phoenix.